Monday, June 13, 2011

Working days and mami days

I don't know what every day is called, but I do know that one day a week mami doesn't work and stays home with me.
Then for two days after that papi is home with us.

And then after that I go to nursery and play with my friends. Then it happens all over again.

It has been like this since I turned one. I am two and a half now, but I still feel sad and confused when mami drops me off after 3 days together.

I don't cry or anything because crying is for babies, but I just feel we were having such a good time together so why ruin it and leave me at nursery? But I think mami (or papi, depends on who is taking me) feel the same way.

Cuddle time!

As soon as I realise we are nearing the nursery doors, I get really quiet and keep calling mami's name. Before going into my classroom I ask mami to carry me in and I hold on to her neck really really tight. So tight that sometimes it hurts her. 

And even if we have had a difficult morning and I didn't get my way, or I didn't want to get dressed, I forget all of that and I just want her to change her mind and go back home together.

But that doesn't happen.

She walks me to my breakfast table, sits me down and softly whispers "La mami te quiere mucho, mucho. Ya vuelvo a buscarte/Mami loves you very much, I'll be back soon" and kisses me all over.

At that point I usually laugh a little because her kisses tickle my neck and I look at her and say "Chao mami, te quiero mucho mucho/Bye mami, I love you very much". And she leaves to take the choo-choo train to her work.

tickle tickle!

By the time she is on the train, I am sitting at circle time dancing and singing with my friends and I am happy again. Besides, we are always doing something new and fun!

And so begins another week.

But I know that in a few days I will be snuggled up with mami and relaxing in our PJ's while she pretends to be sleeping then suddenly opening her eyes and tickling me. "Tickle, tickle, tickle" she says. And I yell out and try to escape. It's a game we play, and she gets me every time!

I know that a lot of mummies work and that we are not the only ones who go through this. But we really do try to enjoy every moment we have together. And with papi too! Besides, I need a break from them.

But SHHHH, don't say that too loud, mami might not like to hear that, it would break her heart.

How do you divide your time between work and your kids? Do you plan special activities or just take it easy?





8 comments:

  1. M, I feel your struggle. Know that it is as hard for your Mummy as it is for you.
    Something I did a few years ago was to make the decision to design my work life to fit around my family life. I left the corporate world 10 years ago to deisgn my own work life around what I valued most. It has been a tough journey with lots of ups and downs but sooooooo worth it as now I only work when my little boy is in school and I am able to take school holidays off too.
    Anyone can design the life they really want and I wish you and your family every success creating what you want for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i was working my boys used to love going to nursery so at drop off i was the one upset as they couldn't get into their classes fast enough.. Its all different now that i am not working but i still kept the youngest going once a week so he can have a play with his friends...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww M my boys feel the same, I work 4 days a week and my oldest is at nursery and my youngest stays with his gran or gran and grandpa. It is so hard for us mums to drop you off, we want to spend all our time with you. We struggle to find that balance, I know I've not found it yet. But it does make me appreciate my time I get with them. I try to spend as much time as possible with them. I feel for your little M and your mummy I know how hard it is. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching post. It's sad that Mummy has to go to work but she's doing the best she can for all of you, and at least you get to have a break (I won't tell!) and have fun with your friends at nursery.

    The grown up world is confusing, especially for us grown ups, but the important thing is that the time you share is filled with love and laughs. My little one should start nursery in September for a few days and I know we'll both be a bit sad, but also there's loads of good stuff about each having that time to yourself. As you well know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a truly cute picture little M!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn’t have a heart to leave my baby. I left my career in central London where I worked as Operation analyst. We had to move to a smaller one bedroom apartment after my income was gone and we now with time being tough we don’t go to holidays and we can’t afford much but you know what? We don’t regret. I treasure last two and a half years that I spend with my daughter and hope and pray I can do it for couple of more years. This is all what you get. After they go to school it’s all over.
    People encounter so many problems with their toddlers simply because they are not there to get to know them while they can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to hear about others and their situations. We can wait for our new life to start soon. Not everyone can stop working and in our case I had to go back. But we make it work :)

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...