Tuesday, October 25, 2011

London Heathrow Airport's Nipperbout Mobile Creche

I'm here now in the USA, but to get here we had to go to London Heathrow Airport and get on a plane.

A few weeks before mami had seen some discussion around Heathrow Airport not allowing families to take their pushchairs to the gate. This didn't go over so well, and not just for us, but for other families too. 

This bit of news, mixed with the nerves mami gets when travelling with me because she says I get "frustrated and on edge even before getting on the plane" made her scared for the 8 hour flight to Washington DC. 

And she had every right to be. I get so bored waiting around. Being told to "sit still" "no running" "don't touch" that when I do get on the plane I just want to kick the seat in front of me, scream and run around. 

But can you blame me? 

So when we passed through security at London Heathrow Airport last week and entered the departure lounge and saw a sign that said Children's Play Area mami didn't miss a beat. We made our way over and mami said to papi "I am checking him in, you go get us coffees". 


And that's what we did. She signed me in to the playarea run by Nipperbout Mobile Creche and Event Child Care in Terminal 1 and off I went!

Now I could end here and say it was great fun (which it was) but mami and I feel that more airports and Heathrow should consider this a permanent fixture. Mami was told this area was there for a few weeks, then taken down. Then back again in a few weeks time.

This is how it works:

1. Nipperbout has trained professionals on hand to check children in, ensure they are safe in the enclosed area and keep it clean and tidy

2. Parents can come in or sit outside in the normal departure area seating. The walls to the play area are low enough (see images) for us kids to see our parents and for them to see us!

3. You can stay for 10 minutes or 2 hours like me! 

4. It's FREE!


Our reasons why children's play areas should become a part of airports today:

1. Even before getting on a flight, the waiting time is long and very tiring. Having a play area allows us kids to relax and enjoy some time to run around

2. Parents are more at ease and less stressed. I could see such a big difference in mami's attitude this time around. Usually she is a "ball of nerves"

3. By the time we get on the flight, we have had a good hour or so of play and we are ready for lunch and a nap

4. Not only are we happy, but fellow travellers won't be scared of being near us kids on a long flight

We know that Fisher Price had a temporary play area at Gatwick Airport but I didn't get a chance to go to that one. 

Have you been to the play area at Heathrow or other airports? What did you think?

Share your reasons and ideas on why having play areas would make for better travelling experiences.

We really want to help families travel happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...