Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Not quite home yet...

The best part about being back? Getting to hang out with my tía, grandma and uncle

We've been in the USA for over a month now. This moving-back-expat-starting-over thing isn't as easy as we thought it would be. Mami is having "reverse culture shock" and I haven't been able to have much time to myself because of my demanding schedule.

I'm being serious. It's hard work when everyone wants to see you, here's what I mean...

The first few weeks were amazing! We were the coolest people in town. Everyone wanted to see us, talk to us. After all, we hadn't been back to visit in two years.

I took full advantage of mami and papi's welcome back celebrations. I went to bed super late, mami and papi let me do what I wanted (they were very happy too!) I slept in a little tent my tío Tomás gave me, I had family members I didn't know existed come over to see me,  lots of new toys and gifts, then Halloween came around and just a thousand new things going on at once.

To be honest, it was sooo much fun!

Then after a few weeks we packed up and went to stay with my grandma and grandpa in Williamsburg, Virginia. Instead of relaxing, the action started all over again. There was a new house to play in, a new dog, new aunts, uncles, and cousins. Then came Thanksgiving (my first one) and it was like a circus! I even watched American football for the first time and became a Green Bay Packers fan. There were so many people everywhere, and I was never alone. Phewwww!

You have to understand that in London it was just me, mami and papi ALL OF THE TIME. No one else really came to see us and much less LIVE with us.

I think even mami and papi have come down from all of the excitement because I heard her say to papi "I just want to go home. Any home that is ours".

I thought, "But where is home?"

I realised we are definitely NOT going back to London, NOT going back to our flat, NOT going back to my old room, NOT going to see my friends. And it made me sad. Sad because I just want us to go back to how we were, all living together in one place. Don't get me wrong, living with my tía Denise and my Omama has it's advantages, but you need your space.

But being here also means I get to do things I wouldn't normally get to do, like paint with my tía Denise, go out to dinner with my grandma or hang out with my uncle Brad. So it's all worth it in the end, we just have to be patient (not something mami is good at).

Now mami and papi are in the process of buying a car. Can you believe that?! Our very OWN car! Woooo hooo! I'm a city boy and I've only ever been on the tube and buses so this is going to be a whole new adventure for me. We've been using my Omama's car and so far, I love it and who knew mami could drive? I always discover something new about her.

So you see, we may be back "home", but we don't feel at home. We have a long ways to go for that. For now, mami is just enjoying her "extended holiday", meeting up with old friends and making new blogging friends. She's even launching a new blog in Spanish. Good luck mami! Just remember, blogging may look easy, but it's a lot of hard work. I've been doing this for almost two years.

We'll keep you posted on our settling in. For now, we are getting ready for Christmas and preparing for a whole new year!

Have you recently moved to another country or city? Or have you moved back to where you were from originally? How was it for you?


P.S. In case you were wondering, I am still waiting for my toys and bed to arrive. I wish they would hurry up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...