Friday, June 18, 2010

No twitter or computer, just mami and me

So happy to spend time painting with mami!

I mentioned in my last post that I had not seen much of mami in the past two weeks. She had been extra busy and daddy had to take over for a bit. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE daddy, but I missed mami!

She wasn't around in the evenings for dinner, to give me a bath or read to me. When she was around, she was rushing me along and very tense.  I don't know what I did, but my feelings were hurt and I clung to daddy instead. Mami was sad when I wouldn't cuddle with her, but I think she that made her realise how I was feeling, and quickly changed to make sure I wasn't sad anymore.

This week mami was back! Oh how I missed her and her funny faces! It felt like the good old days - just us, going to the park, reading, dancing and eating yummy lunches. And typical mami, she had a surprise for me. Today, on our mami and me Fridays, she brought out the paints!

In complete control of my art

It just so happens that I love to paint! Its my favourite activity at nursery and mami and I had never done that together. So you can imagine my excitement when mami set up the small table in the kitchen and let me "freestyle" paint.

At first I picked up the paint brush and dipped it in the blue - then I added some yellow and dabbed at the red. Very civilized and under control.

Did mami really expect me to stay clean?

I brushed the paper and then, just as mami was encouraging me to do more, I thought "forget this!" and stuck both of my hands in the paints and smeared it all over my face, hair and on the gate. 


Leaving my mark in the kitchen

Mami just looked at me wide eyed, I stared back thinking "did you really expect me not to make a mess?" but then she laughed and kissed the small spot on my forehead that did not have paint.

Freestyle painting

She let me go wild and when she turned to get the camera, I decided I would add a little colour to the kitchen floor!

Black and white is so boring - yellow and red brightens it up!

Mami then reminded me that we were making a special card for daddy's day on Sunday so I did eventually paint on the paper.

They are abstract pieces. I hope daddy understands them.

To daddy made with lots of love, Little M


I know that a lot of mamas are very busy, but remember that us little one's love you very very much, and despite our moods, we miss and need you lots! It was nice to have mami's full attention and not have to share my time with the computer or twitter.

Mami read an article in the New York Times about the risks of parenting while plugged in and it got her thinking about how she spends her days with me.

So mamas, why not turn off the TV, shut down the computer and take a break from twitter and plan an extra special activity with your little one? And please come by and let me know what you have in mind!

Get planning!

P.S. Because I did make a big mess, I thought I would submit this to the Messy Play Challenge by Huggies Wipes

4 comments:

  1. I think your Mami is a smart cookie. WE have just een away for 4 days and it was so good for my kids form rnot to have a computer. I enjoye dit too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like great fun! Did you have as much fun cleaning it up afterwards? That's what I have to manage to get past, the mess. Noelie will just eat the paint anyway so we'll give it another little while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the entry! Looks like you two had loads of fun! We've posted the photos to the Huggies Wipes Messy Play challenge Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/messyplaybyhuggieswipes/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Little M you look like you're having loads of fun! I used to do all sorts of things like this with my two boys. It's made me realise how little I do and I miss getting messy with them.

    Great work! x

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...