Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bilingual Corner No 2 - What's your name?

Gracias to so many of you for writing about being bilingual and the funny stories you posted for the first Bilingual Corner! Its all just for fun, so this month I thought I would talk about our names! See, I realised that being bilingual not only means speaking two (or more) languages but experiencing different ways of doing things – traditions I think mami calls it.
Let me make it easy for you: 

Mami is from Chile
Daddy is from the USA
Which makes me, Little M a Chilean/American born Brit – cool huh? And that’s a whole lot of different traditions going on there!
 
And so the name selection process began...

When I was still in the waters, I could hear mami and daddy talking about what to call me once I came home. It was a bit muffled, but I could sometimes make out parts of their conversations. I tell you, I knew a lot more than they thought when I finally left. Including my name, Little M!

After a day of non-stop bumping around in mami's tummy, when the waters did eventually stay still (which now I now know means that mami was sitting), I could hear mami say “he is going to have English last name, so I want him to have a Spanish first name, but easy enough to pronounce”

Daddy would then say “Any particular names you had in mind?” then mami would say a few and then they would both just go silent. From what I gather, it took them a long time to finally agree to my name. Mami really wanted a Spanish name and happily daddy agreed too! (As long as it didn't have too many "R" because he has a hard time with those still, hahaha!)

When I discovered my name...

I was so happy when they finally did start calling me by my name, “Hola Little M, its daddy” I’d hear him say, and then again, and again and again. So that’s how I knew he was talking to me!

I liked hearing their voices through mami’s tummy and sometimes I would even put on a little show for them and kick my legs or move my arms around.

More surprises...

After being in the outside world now for 18 months (well, almost) I realised that Little M is in fact a Spanish name, however, we have all discovered that it is also a German, French, Portuguese, Finnish, Nordic, and even Lithuanian name! (Daddy saw that a few biathletes in the Winter Olympics where also named Little M and that made him very very happy!)

So I guess mami and daddy made a great choice  - although I still get funny pronunciations at nursery. Don’t they hear how mami says it? Silly people.
 
Your turn...
 
Now I ask you, do you have a first name that maybe is traditionally used in another country or language? Or the other way around? Is someone else in the family named that? Did you choose it to remind you of where you come from? Does it set you apart? Have you had difficulties with it?

So far, no problems here! I've even met a few Little M's although they were not so Little – and when people hear it, they say they like it!

Write and link...

Can’t wait to hear your stories. Please remember to mention Little M's Bilingual Corner and link back to my blog on your post!

I will add a Linky so you can come back and leave your post so others can read it. 



 

8 comments:

  1. That's a great idea little M! I'd love to know what your name is. I tried to guess but only came up with one Spanish name starting with M so far and I know there are a lot more of them. Would it also be the name of a famous Spanish cyclist by any chance? Anyway, I'd love to take part but I don't have time to write a post since I'm still buried in boxes and bags in my new house. So I was wondering if you would allow me to cheat a little? I wrote a post not so long ago about names. Would you let me enter it? Let me know! Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to oblige you with a comment, as dont have "space" for bilingual posts on redtedart :-( boo hoo, maybe if i get timecan do a little more for thegoodlife bloggers and blog bilingually there!

    But my children's names were picked so that they "work" in English and German. Wanted them to have an identity in both languages. So they are Maximilian (Max) and Philippa (Pippa).

    To me language is a great part of your identity and if you name sounds more English or more German you may feel more one or other. Then again, maybe not!!!

    M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm half Italian and my OH is English (with a very English surname!). we decided to give Jack an Italian middle name (Paolo) so that he would at least have a little link to his heritage. We've started learning Italian together too and it is amazing how much quicker Jack learns than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm half Italian and my OH is English (with a very English surname!). we decided to give Jack an Italian middle name (Paolo) so that he would at least have a little link to his heritage. We've started learning Italian together too and it is amazing how much quicker Jack learns than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Foodie Mummy - OF COURSE you can put up another post..can't wait to read it :)

    Maggy - Mami and I are always happy to have you come by and tell us your stories :)

    Baby Dines Out: Ciao! what a great middle name for your son. My great grandparents are German and I have a German middle name. I know! its one big mix. Best of luck with your lessons. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blondie Boy isn't bilingual, but is a binational. As a Scomerican little boy (half Scottish, half American) we chose a traditional Scottish name.

    It worked out well for myself who prefers more non-mainstream names because no one in America has really ever heard of it, but works well for NBH because it is a traditional name.

    We would like BB to be bilingual, but as neither of us properly are the best we can do so far is read him books in German :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melaina25 - thanks for coming by! Love to hear that you chose a traditional Scottish name...its remembering where you are from! and keep practising that German, I hear its not easy to learn. Tchuss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice idea! I enjoyed looking back at the names we thought of while writing the blog post - great to see what other people go through as well and their thinking process... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...