Monday, February 21, 2011

Review: The Wizard of Oz

Superbreak and The London Theatre Guide invited mami to see the The Wizard of Oz at the London Palladium (that's the name of the theatre).

Mami and papi loved the show and were surprised at just how good it was. I heard there is a dog in it too!

The story is about Dorothy and her dog Toto who are transported from their home in Kansas to a magical place called Oz. Along the way, they meet a Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion who help Dorothy and Toto along the yellow brick road.

Mami had seen the movie, but she admitted that it wasn't her favourite. How could she not like it, it sounds so exciting!


However, being the theatre lover that she is, she could not pass up the opportunity to see the Andrew Lloyd Weber production of The Wizard of Oz on stage.

She loves musicals, enjoys the costumes, the props, looking at the faces in the background, and seeing how it all comes alive right before her eyes.

Both mami AND papi were blown away at just how modern and colourful the setting and the characters were. Papi is not a big fan of musicals, but he kept looking over at mami and saying "it's really, really good".

Dorothy, is played by Danielle Hope who is winner of TV's Over The Rainbow. Mami said her singing voice was superb and her American accent was spot on. Thank goodness for that! I know mami would not have enjoyed the show otherwise.

Another well-known actor from the Phantom of the Opera named Michael Crawford plays the role of The Wizard. He got lots and lots of applause.

Mami said the humour was up to date and modern and the best one liners came from the cowardly Lion. She never ever thought this would be a funny show, but the Lion, Tin Man and the Scarecrow certainly had the audience in stitches.

Having been part of his high school band, papi focused on the orchestra. The musical score was "beautiful" he said and each character had their own special tune.

The chorus was upbeat and happy and Dorothy's rendition of "Over the Rainbow" was even better than mami remembered from the movie.


I want to meet him!

Now for the best part of all, there was a REAL dog on stage!

Yes! Mami said the true star of the show was Toto!

She said he was the best stage dog she has ever seen (not that she has seen many) and that Toto had absolute poise and immaculate timing.

He stayed seated, he didn't mind being held and he even ran off on cue! She said she wished I was that well behaved...yeah right mami, keep dreaming.

I wish I could meet Toto. We have a lot in common, he's a blogger like me. Check out Toto's Corner!

Mami and papi say this is a "must see musical" and hopefully next time they take me.

Now go and book your tickets!


3 comments:

  1. I've seen all the ALW shows to find new stars for his shows! I haven't seen a show in London for a while. I might have to see if I can sneak into anything this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can, you should! I never really liked the movie, but the show was so much better and funnier. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like so much fun. We just watched the original film with the babes a few days ago, you might enjoy it more if you rewatch it, I know I did. I love a good musical. Also might hunt down The Wiz to see how the kids take to that. Very cheesy adaptation but some fun songs.

    Meantime, looking forward to tucking into my Glee!

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...