Wednesday, March 9, 2011

HALF a marathon

Only 6 weeks until the London marathon! Mami is running with the Nestle Pure Life team and has been training to make sure she makes it all the way.

This past weekend she ran the Silverstone Half Marathon - not a full one, but 13 miles instead of 26.2.


Ready to go

Papi and I couldn't go with her but we followed her tweets and she even called us when she was halfway done!

Her day went a little something like this:

2 hour bus ride to Silverstone from London

1.5 hour wait before the race and FREEZING because it was very very cold

At the start line mami wondered "why am I doing this?"

Reached mile 5 in under one hour

At miles 6- 9 she felt good and in control and called us to let us know she was ok

She made it to 10 miles in under two hours

Ran by a very orange lady named Katie Price (mami says Katie may be skinny, but mami can run faster)

Says she "hit a wall "at 10 miles and said "her legs wouldn't move"

At mile 11 mami realised she had gone out too fast in the beginning

Tried running through miles 11, 12 and 13 but struggled to push through it

Ran the last half mile because "you must cross the finish line at full speed"

FINSHED!

She didn't say it was easy

A personal best for mami, she ran it in 2 hours and 36 minutes and didn't break or hurt anything.

But at home papi and I were sad for her when we realised she had left her most important piece of running gear behind- her swiggies! They were on the kitchen counter full of her orange sports drink.


She forgot these

Next time papi and I will help her lay out her running gear the night before and make sure she takes her swiggies.

She is still finding it hard to run during the week, but I am here to make sure that she does!


7 comments:

  1. Your Mummy did brilliantly and I am very proud of her, just like I bet you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay go you! Well done hun thats an awesome time! And good on you over taking Katie Price! Its all that silicone that holds her back I'm sure! Marathon next! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing so well, 5 weeks to go. Keep it up. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother ran this also and said it was pretty tough and windy! At least you now know you can do this distance, with the big crowd in London I'm sure you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go on, Mami. You can do it! I think it's amazing what you've taken on in such a short time. Make me feel mucho lazy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your encouragement! Believe me, I have thought of giving up, but I've come this far, now I have to finish :)

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...