Friday, August 26, 2011

Mami learns to draw with BiC Kids

I could always tell there was something wrong when I asked mami to draw me a big cat or a giraffe.

She would just look at me, then at papi and say, "you draw it" and then she would make circles, or flowers or the usual: a house. She never really tried to draw anything else.

To be honest, I don't really care what her drawings look like as long as she does them with me. I was happy when BiC Kids invited her to a discussion about getting creative.

Mami always said that "she couldn't draw" but after speaking with Early Childhood Development Professor Angela Anning she realised that because she wasn't encouraged she never really tried. BUT that she shouldn't be afraid to try...don't worry mami, I won't judge you! I just want you to draw and get messy with me.



So to get mami started BiC Kids sent us their entire range of crayons, markers, and coloured pencils. The pencils are very difficult to break and you can leave the markers uncapped for 2 months (which I do all the time) and they won't dry out!

They are seriously amazing and I take very good care of them so they last a long time. And they are washable - double good because I was so excited when I got them that I coloured behind my door. Sorry mami!

And to make things even better, Becky from Baby Budgeting who was at the discussion as well sent mami some books that teach her how to draw! You would be amazed at what she's done since...just watch the video!

You've come along way mami!

So let this be a lesson to other mummies and have a go a drawing and crafting. It's all about having a good time. Because when you have fun, WE have fun!

7 comments:

  1. Good on you all! I am so proud of you and I Cannot agree more - I know so many people who say I "can't" and it is because they never had a chance to just have a go. Being encouraged and encouraging your children and seeing the beauty in everything they make is SO important! Yay you!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm another who can't draw. My friend runs an annual "make a piece of art every day in August" meme over on livejournal, and even though I've started to take part the last couple of times, I get so disheartened when the others are really talented and I only manage a tree.

    It's great that you're giving it a go and learning - I should do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you! LO's don't judge, they love whatever you do and will be encouraged to have a positive attitude to their own drawing if you're enthusiastic about your own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can Draw my friend and you are fdoing a great job Little M looks very happy to have his mami bu his side xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant Maria! Little M will now grow up hearing a mami saying yes I can draw and that will hugely impact his confidence too. You look v happy both of you with your time together x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We watched this vlog together and guess what we three can all now draw a lion and I have ordered the other book that Becky gave you. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well done you! I grinned all the way through this!Free the artist within! No rights, no wrongs just pictures. Fab!

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...