Sunday, November 13, 2011

Greetings from Williamsburg, Virginia

Here we are just three hours south of Washington, DC in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Since moving to the US from the UK we have been living with my Omama near Washington, DC. Now we are here in Williamsburg where papi's parents live. That's my grandma and grandpa.

Not only do they live here, but just down the road in Jamestown was where the FIRST permanent English settlement in North America was set up waaaaaaay back when the English were finding new places to take over.

In Colonial Williamsburg you can still see some of the original buildings and see how life was back then.  Some things have been remade, but people live there and they dress like the olden times.

The ladies wear long dresses and the men wear funny looking shoes with white knee high socks.  There are Union Jack flags everywhere along the main street - that I recognised instantly!

Williamsburg is right between Jamestown and Yorktown and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the world. Who knew?
There is lots for families to do - so if you are ever over this way, it's worth a trip.

Even Prince William's grandma, Her Royal Highness, the Queen HERSELF (and Prince Philip) came by a few years ago to check it out on the 400th anniversary of the first English colony in North America. Yep!

Here's a list of things you can do when you visit:

1. Busch Gardens Williamsburg: You don't have to wait for the summer to go. The day after Thanksgiving they open up their Christmas Town so just in a few weeks I will be making my way over. Besides I need to talk to Santa. NOW.

The entire park is decorated for Christmas, there is singing and even snow (but it's not real). Mami loved it! It reminds me of the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. You can purchase tickets on their site and follow on twitter @BuschGardensVa

2. Colonial Williamsburg: I've already said it, but just walking down the main area you can get a feel for how the colonials lived and they do cool re-enactments too

3. Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center: This is one place I haven't been yet, but mami and papi have. We are going next week so I can't wait! Here you can experience the first settlements, go into the old homes, see how they cooked and made everything from sticks, leaves and rocks.

4. The College of William and Mary: There is a big university right in the middle of Williamsburg. It is the second oldest university in the United States (and no, it's not private!) The campus is really pretty now during the autumn

5. The Williamsburg Winery: I don't think I need to say too much, but it's a grown up favourite. I know that grandma and grandpa like to go there. They have tastings and you can have parties there too. I'm pretty sure it's on mami's list of "things to do"

6. Williamsburg Premium Outlets: Do I really need to explain this one? SHOPPING. OUTLETS. SALES.

Believe me when I say there is lots to do. We go exploring in the woods, today we even saw some deer! We throw rocks in the James River, collect acorns and pine cones, and the leaves on the trees are bright yellow, red and orange. It looks so pretty!

I'm only just getting started over here.  So far, I'm loving Williamsburg!

And while I'm here, I'm sending out postcards. So leave us a comment below if you want me and mami to send you one or just say hi.

Cheers from over here!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...