Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Happy Saint Nicholas Day!

Happy Saint Nicholas Day!

Here at our house we have a mix of traditions, a lot of them come from my Omama's side of the family who are German. This time of year, one of them is the celebration Saint Nicholas Day on the 6th of December.

Traditionally in Germany and other European countries Saint Nicholas is the one who brings the gifts, not Santa Claus, but really, he IS el viejito pascuero (Santa in Chilean Spanish).

How else would we get our toys and gifts to us?


On the night of the 5th, we leave our nicest shoes by the door or chimney with our Christmas lists. Mami and I worked on ours during the day. I looked at hers and it looked like this:
  • Car  done!
  • Our own house
  • Chanel bag
  • Sleep
Good luck getting that bag mami!

Oh yeah, back to my story. Saint Nicholas comes at night, takes our lists and fills our shoes with yummy treats like nuts, raisins, chocolate and fruit!

Mami has been leaving her list since she was a little girl and it seems to work. She and my tío Tomás would wake up early get their shoes, then go back to bed and eat all of the treats! Nowadays, even papi doesn't miss out on this!

This year, we made special little bags to put the lists in (part of our Advent crafting), and we put them by our fireplace at Omama's house which is where we are living right now. She left hers too.

Of all the things mami makes me do, this has got to be one of my all time favorites. And I've been really good. All day. Every day. It's true. So I KNOW I am getting gifts!

Do you celebrate Saint Nicholas Day? We want to hear from others who do this too.

Now I'm off to crack open some of the peanuts I got.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...