Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Swiss Bakery: Merry Swissmas!

One of the things we most miss about London are the cafés. Some are better than others, but we miss the atmosphere and being able to enjoy some yummy treats. 

On Fridays mami and I would go to our local café called The Bread Shop and she would have her skinny latte and I would have my usual croissant and juice. We would sit outside and watch people walk by on Chiswick High Road. Most of the time we saw people we knew and would join us. 

The only "café" we go to here in Virginia is Starbucks...don't get me wrong we like it for a quick coffee or babyccino, but it doesn't have that special feel to it. No yummy breads or pastries in sight! 


But on Saint Nicholas DayOmama took us to a place called The Swiss Bakery. It's location is nothing fancy. To be honest, it's very uninviting but if  you can get past the fact that it is located in a strip mall then you are okay. Believe me, you are in for a treat!

Once you are inside it's decorations and delicious pastries make it worth while. They import cheese, sausages and meat from Germany and make have oven fresh bread.  One of my favourites is their bread men called Grittibenz...they taste so good! 

I think the Christmas season really brings out the German side of mami...even though she doesn't speak it, the traditions this time of year are very special to her. 

This weekend they are having a party. Yes a SWISSMAS party! Live music, and even Santa Claus is coming by. They will have a special menu just for the day and all of their Christmas treats will be available. We already bought our German Stollen...that's a fruit bread with marzipan and covered with icing sugar...mmmmm!

So if you are in the Northern Virginia area, mami and I recommend you stop by. The Swiss Bakery is located in at the Ravensworth Shopping Center in Springfield and in Burke Town Plaza. You can also buy online and find them on Facebook for all the latest. 

Frohe Weihnachten!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...