Saturday, May 29, 2010

Little M's Bilingual Corner

Hmm? What is a four letter word for poop in Spanish? C-A-C-A

The Funny Side of Being Bilingual

London is a terrific city, no denying that! What makes it vibrant and exciting is the wide range of languages you hear on the street everyday. After doing some very serious research at my local sandbox and paddling pool, I realised that there are a whole lot of us little ones not only speaking English, but another language too!

Remember my post about being bilingual? Well, it got me thinking, with so many mami's out there raising a bilingual family, why not start a little corner on my blog where all mami's and daddy's in a bilingual (or multilingual) home can stop by to post their thoughts, ask questions and more importantly, share funny stories!

So get your passports ready, because on the first Tuesday of the month I will pose a question/topic and feature a country to get you talking and we can learn from each other too! You do not even have to be bilingual, you might be a British or US expat elsewhere, etc. Because believe me, there are plenty of funny moments when more than one language is involved!
So what do you think? Why not tell your bilingual mami friends to join so we can get this going.

Let me know if you are interested in joining Little M's Bilingual Corner by leaving a comment below and a little about yourself, what other language(s) you speak, what country you are from twitter name. Make sure to follow mami too @verybusymama.

besos,

Little M

8 comments:

  1. I would really be interested in that. My name is Foodie Mummy. I'm a french expat living in Ireland. I also speak Spanish. Great Idea little M (and Mami)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea!!! I just have to think about how I can make it work with craftiness on Red Ted Art - can't stray too far from the subject of art!! Maybe I can pop in every so often when it fits!

    Great idea though!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, I am Czech, my husband English and our Isabelle is bilingual. I also studied German and Russian at school ;)

    @Kahanka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola little M.,
    I love the idea of the multilingual familias! I am a grandmother (oma,abuelita and grand mere). I am from Chile and when I came to the US, I decided to raise my kids bilingual, English and Spanish. It wasn't easy at times, but they new that from the door in it was Spanish only. Some times when they forgot to speak Spanish for a couple of times, the TV was magicaly turned off for a few hours. Today they are completely binlingual adults and they are proud to be able to speak two languages so well. I always told my little ones not to mix the languages beacause it is a very bad habit. When you are talking try to use one language at a time, it could be hard some times, I know. But it is also a very good exercise for your brain. When you don't know a word, only ask your mummy,She knows everything. It is so much fun to know more than one language! and you can make a lot more friends! Isn't that fantastico!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I'm an American expat, married to a Chilean. Ely is only ten months old, but we hope she'll be bilingual. Right now, she appears to understand some English, but almost nothing in Spanish. I have no doubts that she'll pick up Spanish, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll check it out!

    We live in Canada, and our kids (almost 5 and almost 3) are growing up with English (community language), German (it's my first language and we're doing OPOL, kind of), and French (a little at daycare and soon full-time in an immersion programme at school for the eldest).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Foodie Mummy - merci! I look forward to hearing your funny bilingual story.

    Maggy - anything you can contribute...Mami just loves your craft ideas :)

    Mirka - wow! you are multilingual. Do you have any funny "lost in translation" story to share?

    Ely's mom - I know you must have some funny stories to tell!

    Smashedpea - wow! can't image having more languages to learn. Would love for you to contribute to my first Bilingual Corner about mistranslations!

    Little M x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonjour! I am American and a non-native speaker of French with a monolingual husband (also American). We are raising our two-year-old bilingually, and I've also made a supreme effort to speak only French to my four-year-old nephew.

    If you'd like to meet other families who operate in more than one language, please swing by my blog, Bringing up Baby Bilingual, and click on the label "Profiles" in the sidebar. I have been conducting interviews with families all over the world--and I'm always eager to hear from new people! Please let me know if Little M or his readers would be interested in letting me profile your family.

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...