Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Gallery - Mami's Amigas (Friends)


It just so happened that I was planning on writing about mami's friends when I came across Sticky Fingers  blog where the theme for the weekly Gallery was just that, Friendship. Bear with me as I have more than one!

Mami and daddy have been living in the UK for 5 years and one of the difficult aspects about being away from your “home” is leaving behind your close knit group of friends and family. However, mami is great at making friends, and even more so, at working on lasting friendships.

She has friends from when she was a little girl that she still keeps in contact with today, and friends that live far away in the US, Canada and Chile. There are also her friends here in the UK, without whom her stay here would not be so much fun, and now new mummy friends. There are all sorts of friends, including old ones, new ones and even family!

Here are a few of mami’s closest friends or amigas:

Mami’s best friend since her university days Auntie Noodle was just here for a visit. They had just seen each other over Christmas, but that didn’t stop them from jumping up and down and squealing with delight when they saw each other. Same happened when mami's sister and number one BFF Auntie D came to visit in November. Despite being tired from staying up late, mami drank a lot of wine, talked non-stop and had a big smile on her face! Daddy and I just sat back and let her enjoy her “girl time” while we played and read together.

Mami, Auntie Noodle and Auntie D

A former expat herself, Auntie K moved back to Canada after 6 years in the UK. She actually hired mami for her first PR job in the UK. But aside from being a terrific manager, she is mami’s confidant, good for a laugh and vino partner in crime! Mami misses her a lot and they have weekly phone chats to keep up to date with all the gossip. Usually I am in bed when they talk, but I can hear giggles and laughter from the living room! She was also at the hospital when I was born when no one else was able to come and visit – and for that mami is most grateful.

Here they are at No 10 when I was in her tummy!

I recently realised that mami considers her mami her best friend! Every once in a while there is a bit of disagreement but they always manage to move past it and laugh over it. She says her mami is her biggest supporter when it comes to her life decisions and choices and even kept her cool when mami thought she wanted to drop out of university, move to NYC and become an actress. (I know, crazy, right?)


My mami with her mami!

As for me, my best friends are mami and daddy. They may be difficult at times, insisting on wiping my nose every chance they get, but we always make up with big sloppy kisses and hugs!

My best friends!

I leave you with a song by Brazilian singer Roberto Carlos “Un Millon de Amgios” (A Million Friends). Its a classic and its beautiful, just like mami's friendships (and please, disregard his mullet).

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post - and a great circle of friends :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and lovely photos. I also seem to have most of my friends not in the Uk ( mostly Sydney and the Czech republic), miss them a lot , but luckily get to see them quite often ;)

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...