Friday, June 11, 2010

There's no business like SHOW business

Over the past few months I’ve noticed that mami often stands in front of the mirror making funny faces and her voice changes to a tone I’ve never heard before. She acts very, very different; like she is someone else.

Over the weekend, I saw her do it again. I had wandered into the bathroom hoping to get my hands on the toilet paper roll they often forget to put away, when I saw her talking into the mirror. I pointed up at her and called for her to look at me.

She kept looking ahead so I tugged at her shirt and she looked down at me smiling and said “hola mi amor, la mami esta ensayando para su estreno/ hi my love, mami is rehearsing for her show”. And then I realised, she is pretending to be someone else – just like when she reads to me and does funny voices!

 
Mami as Camp Commandante Regina R. Random (she's in the middle)

Daddy came in to scoop me up and said “see that, your mami is a “DRA-MA QUEEEEN”. Mami just looked over at us and said, “nooo, just a sensible artiste” and then they both broke out into laughter.

But now I get it! Mami is staring in her first play in sixteen years! She calls it her “London Debut”. After I was born she kept telling daddy that she wanted to do something for herself, really go for it, but didn’t know how. In January she joined an amateur theatre group in West London. She wasn’t sure if she would be able to dedicate the time but nowadays she is very quick to rush out the door on rehearsal days! Hmmm?


And here she plays "Maria" in Funeral Games (She's in blue!)

Mami gets to make all of those funny faces and voices in two Joe Orton plays; The Erphingham Camp and Funeral Games at Questors Theatre in Ealing, London. Opening night was Wednesday the 9th of June and runs through Saturday the 12th. She is nervous but really excited to be a part of it all!

I was excited too! But then I heard mami and daddy talking about getting a babysitter for me. Wait? What? After all that time I spent watching her practice; I won’t be able to go?! Oh no! Daddy said it wasn’t for little ones and that it would be past by bedtime by then.

I guess I will just have to hear all about it – and believe me, I will hear about it.

7 comments:

  1. Ah, I really should get back into amateur dramatics - used to really love it, but the last time I did any was when I was pregnant with eldest daughter, so am very envious.

    Break a leg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Mami, well done for getting out there and doing something you love again. My Mummy intends to get round to that at some point soon...! good luck tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What else can I say other than Break a Leg, you should visit Trish at Mums gone to...... She is in to AmDram too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to everyone for your nice comments - will let mami know!

    Julie B - you should get back in. Its a bit stressful towards the end, but mami says the feeling on stage is amazing!

    itsamorningday - yes, get your mummy out and doing something. Besides, its gives us some free time too!

    TheMadHouse - thanks for the good wishes and I will make sure mami gets in touch with Trish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Little M and Mami!
    How lovely to read about another am-dram drama queen. Yes, my boy is 14 now and despairs of his Mum singing and acting on stage - but he knows it makes her happy so he puts up with it and secretly enjoys going to watch her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you!! I have not done a show in years! This is great that you are doing something for yourself!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mami did a great job. She was a very convincing Camp Commandante!

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...