Sunday, July 18, 2010

MotherCare, more like MotherDOESN'TCare

I may be little, but I know when mami is happy and when she is not happy. This week, she has not been very happy.

Before leaving the waters and coming home, mami and daddy had everything ready for me. My bed, my clothes, toys, blankets and nappies. Most or all had been bought at a store called Mothercare. Daddy really liked their selection and would say "they have everything we need!"

In November (mami mentioned the month) before travelling on a plane to visit abuelita, mami said "we need a lightweight stroller, I don't want to take the big one the on the plane" Daddy agreed and said it would be good for nursery too.

And guess where he went to buy me a new pushchair? That's right; he went to our favourite store, Mothercare.

Now its summer time and just the other day the back wheels broke off. I was surprised because we only use it to go to nursery. I have had my other buggy since I was born and nothing has happened to it!

We went to our nearest store, and they said we were past the 6 month guarantee. Mami asked if it could be repaired and they said we would have to pay for it.

But wait! According to an email from customer support:

"If it has a manufacturing fault and you return it after 28 days, we'll repair it. If  we can't repair it, we'll exchange it or give you a refund."

The email went on to say:

“If your pushchair doesn't have a manufacturing fault, has been used and isn't in its original packaging, we don't refund or exchange it.”

Very sneaky! Based on advice provided by email customer support anything that is a “manufacturers fault” should be replaced but in the store they bully you into thinking this coverage only lasts 6 months. So which is it?

Talking to daddy she said, "Either they don't believe their own brand is of good quality with just 6 month warranties or they are trying to pull a fast one."

Daddy and I looked at each other and he said they should rename themselves either MotherDoesn'tCare or CustomerSupportDon’tKnow due to the conflicting messages.

Some of mami's friends on Twitter also said they were unimpressed with Mothercare items and their service and had moved on to other shops for their essentials.

I know mami, when she says something she means it! Says she won't be shopping at Mothercare and wanted me to write about it to let you know to be careful when buying anything from them.

What are your experiences? Is mami right to want them to replace the pushchair after only 8 months of use?

10 comments:

  1. I have heard terrible things about puschair repairs from both Mothercare and Mamma's and Pappas. I hope you get this sorted. I wouldnt be happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I bought a Mothercare pushchair not too long ago. I hope it doesn't break down on me. I have to say I don't have much luck in the customer service department these days so I probably will be in the same position you are if it happens! Thanks for the letter, I got it the other day. Can't wait to try it! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. mothercare customer service in my opinion are appalling. We had a real struggle with them when we ordered a bedroom set for our toddler the idea being she would be happy and settled into her new bedroom before her baby sister came along. We ordered online no problem said it would be with us within 30 days but 4 months after odering it we only had half of the set as we had to send the wardrobe and set of drawers back twice as they damaged. Plus they let us order online but failed to tell us part of the order was not in stock. So literally I was about to give birth and I think the wardrobe didn't actually get sorted until I was in labour at the hospital. It was really stressful and customer service were crap. After countless emails, phone calls etc they took some money off the wardrobe because in the end we accepted it even though it was still damaged as we had had enough of waiting. I could go on in more detail! But mothercare have a monopoly on the market and they really should treat their customers better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally, there should be a minimum of a one yr guarantee on any pushchair. I had a similar fault with a pushchair from Mamas and Papas and they took it and fixed and gave me one to use in the meantime! How's that? that's what mothercare should be doing too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an excellent blogger by the way!
    Your maimi has very right to expect a refund or exchange after only 8 months a buggy should last a LOT longer.
    Tell her that maybe she should write to Watchdog and get that Anne Robinson on to them - that will sort them out.
    It's disgraceful that a buggy hardly used is broken already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't buy our buggies at mothercare because I found them seriously uncompeditive, also, just about the time I would have needed them they shut down all the stores nearest to me which was very helpful...

    I should shout at someone a bit and see if they will change their tune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I (thankfully) have never had to deal with Mothercare customer services but I do know that the level of advice and support and general retail expertise varies greatly between stores. Reading has two Mothercare stores and I always choose the out-of-town one because of the awful customer service in the town centre. Anyway, I do know someone whose MyChoice pushchair broke after about 3 weeks of use (this is interesting as mine is fine after 13 months) - they were told there was nothing they could do... in the end I think they got the wheels repaired in a bicycle repair shop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for your comments! I'm not happy everyone has had bad service, but happy to know its not just us.

    Their policies are conflicting and they said they would repair it, but we would have to pay for it and would give us a replacement buggy only if it was available.

    At this point we don't want another one of their pushchairs because we don't want to have to deal with them at all.

    We always thought very highly of Mothercare, but our opinion has definately changed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We bought ours from John Lewis and they're excellent. When our brake broke after not even 7 months of use- they sent it off and are fixing it for FREE (as under 2 year guarantee) AND they even gave us a replacement buggy part while the brake is being fixed.

    Mothercare are a lovely shop - but it seems to be stuck in the early 90s - exactly as I remember it when my sister was a baby (except now it smells...)

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...