Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bilingual Corner No 3 - Nicknames!


A special badge for all bilingual families.
My friend Rebecca over at two became four made it specially for me!


Last month I blogged about choosing names in bilingual homes. This month I wanted to talk about something similar – nicknames! 

I found out the hard way that nicknames don’t necessarily make sense from one language to the next.

Nicknames are personal and sometimes can be funny, really funny! But only to those that understand the language. It may sound strange to others but only you and your family know how you got it.


Daddy calls mami another name, Yoyi.

Yes, Yoyi. Sounds funny, huh? It doesn't mean anything but its just an example of how it works better in Spanish than in English (it took me a long time to figure out mami had another name!)

Okay, you can all laugh now.

She said abuelito/grandad gave her that nickname when she was a baby and it has stuck with her.

So what do mami and daddy call me?

When I was a baby mami called me her “pollito” or little chicken because she says I was really thin and yellow!

After that she started calling me her “monito” or monkey because I would roll around everywhere.  I’ve seen the monkeys at the zoo and I look nothing like them by the way!

Now she calls me her “gordito” or “gordo” which means chubby because I love to eat and I have a very big tummy! I know, I know, doesn’t sound very nice but in Spanish it is actually a term of endearment.

When mami calls me her “gordito” her voice is soft and gentle, her eyes sparkle and she always has a smile. That’s how I know she says it with love.

Daddy didn’t like her saying that at first, but he understands now that mami is not saying it to pick on me.

Mami had a friend from a country far away whose nickname for her daughter meant something not very nice in English. She decided not to use it anymore, at least not at the playground where others could hear. It must have been a very, very bad word.

So tell us, what are your nicknames? Do your nicknames sound okay in one language but don't make sense in the other? Or make sense in English but not in your second language?

I can't wait to hear your stories!

You know what you have to do:

Think about it.
Blog about it.
Link to my site.
Come back and leave your link.
Read everyone elses posts.

Enjoy!

Bye bye

“gordo”

P.S. Please share with other friends who might want to join in each month. When you come back I will have a little suprise for you!

3 comments:

  1. Red Ted's nick name came without thinking - "Baer"/ "Bear" - luckily it worked in both languages, so we persevered. Pip Squeaks, I "consciously" chose - "Maus"/ "Mouse"... as I wanted it to work again!

    :-)

    Maggy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not bilingual, but I thought I'd join in anyway...

    We call Tilly and Jasper our little monkeys... and Tilly gets called Swamp Monster because of the strange noises she makes, while Jasper gets called Pudding because of his rather round belly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola gordo :)

    Here's what we do at our house - a bunch of nicknames all muddled up in both official languages :)

    http://intrepidlybilingual.blogspot.com/2010/08/bilingual-nicknames.html

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...