Saturday, August 21, 2010

Say a little prayer

Mami and I walked over to the post office to pick up a package. I love it when she takes me out without the pushchair. The only rule is I must hold her hand. And I do. Very, very tight.

After I handed the man the red card with our package information he brought back a big brown pack.

We then turned to go home but went via the high street instead of the way we came.

We rounded the corner and looked at the houses displayed in the glass window. Then I peeked into the nail salon and the ladies waved at me. Then came the flower shop and the travel store. I always like going up to the windows to get a better look.

We carried on until we reached a big building with big brown doors and lots of steps. I pulled mami's hand to go in and she looked up at the building and followed my lead.

I had been in there before, with abuelita. It was quiet and empty. Mami dipped her finger in a water bowl and touched her forehead, then chest, then one shoulder then the other. She then dipped her finger in the water again and did the same to me. I just stood still and watched her.

We sat down on a brown wooden bench and mami got on her knees. Up at the front were more steps, a large table with a yellow cover and above that a big cross. She smiled at me, put her hands together and closed her eyes. I could see her lips moving but I couldn't hear her. I sat very quietly turning the pages of a green book. It didn't have any pictures, just lots of small words on every page.

I called out to mami and my voice sounded very loud! I did it again and mami said "shhh". It was so cool!

We then walked over to an area with candles and mami lit one. She held me in her arms and I stayed very calm. I looked up and there was a man looking at us. He wasn't really real, but he looked real and his hands were reaching out to us.

Mami whispered "ahí está Jesús/There is Jesus" and I reached out my hand like he was doing to us.

Mami had tears in her eyes, but she looked happy at the same time. She touched her forehead, chest and shoulders again and we quietly left through the big brown doors.

We got outside and she kissed my forehead and said, "gracias mi amor". She was smiling and the tears had dried.

I knew she would like going in there. Abuelita always looked happy after visiting, and so did mami.




9 comments:

  1. Little M that was just beautiful.

    Now it's not just mami with tears in her eyes!

    Miss Betsy went to a similar building a few weeks ago, and she had that special water put on her head which she thought was very wet but very funny.

    I'm glad you liked the special building~ not many people seem to go there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little M ...que hermoso ...esos son valores que lamentablemente ya muchas mamis y papis han olvidado. Darle gracias a Dios todos los dias es super-importante. Dale gracias a Dios por haberte regalado una Mami tan chula y hermosa que te ama mucho, mucho y estamos bien seguros que su primera oracion fue: "Gracias Dios por little M" un Besito!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a beautiful beautiful post! You brought a tear to my eye Little M x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were a very good Little M for Mami! Sounds like a very special trip for you both x

    ReplyDelete
  5. que lindo - a veces olvidamos pero nos gusta ir tambien.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful.I remember taking Frankie for the 1st time and introducinghim to God's house it made me happy little M just like your mami. jesus has helped me alot over the last few months I hope he will be your great friend too little one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. It brought a tear to my eyes. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so lovely. I hope Little M grows up to love Jesus like his mum does.

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...