Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Speak soon

Uh oh! I think mami is worried.

I heard her talking to abuelita on the phone, and when she asked if I was talking yet, mami scrunched her eyebrows, looked over at me and said “Hmm? Not really. I mean nothing, just sounds. He can quack like duck”.

She is sort of right. I’m not speaking like my friends at nursery, but I do repeat mami’s animal noises. They are so funny! I can quack like a duck and bark like a dog.

But the thing is, I can understand (almost) everything she says.

So far we understand each other just fine. She speaks and I respond by either pointing to what I want, shaking my head no, holding out my hand or just running away. See, I can speak, but it just doesn’t sound like the words she and daddy use.

A few months ago I did start saying mama and tete/dummy, but I haven’t really used those lately. I am now a year and a half (19 months to be exact) and I just want her to know that I hear her and daddy, but I am not ready to say anything yet.

Even the way I say “no” sounds different to her. Mine is more like “ne ne ne “. Maybe I just have a different accent?

So I wrote mami a little letter so that she won't worry anymore.

Querida mami,

Please don’t worry, I am going to speak soon, I promise. I hope you know that I understand both English and Spanish, and just because what I say doesn’t sound like your words, I am learning them.

Daddy has been teaching me how to say “tree” and this week I said it! I hope you are proud of me.

Remember, I blow kisses at you every morning and I hope that makes you happy until I can say more.

¡Te quiero mucho!
 

7 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful letter.
    Don't worry too much, my little boy didn't start speaking too much until he was nearer two. I think boys just start a lot later.
    I can't shut him up now though!
    At about 24-26 months he really went for it and he's saying full sentences now.
    I was worried too. But honestly, don't be.
    Little M, you're doing a great job, Matey! Keep it up! *High five*

    Much love chuck xx

    http://beckicklesie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Becca. Monkey said his first word at 16 months (sister, she was born then) and then said digger about a month later. After that, he didn't say a lot at all for ages. HE just about scraped by - at their two year check, they look for about 20-30 words, which is not a lot really.

    He's 5 now and talks perfectly well. If he's had any issues with ear problems, he might need a bit of help but that doesn't always help that much.

    And yes, boys do tend to speak later. Missy Woo said her first word around a year old and was talking full sentences before she was two. But she walked even later than her brother. And now, at 4, you can't tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous how cute. I wouldn't worry either I know lots of boys that started later with talking he will get there xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, my little boy only started saying the odd word by 18 months, and you know how much he chatters away now! I know it's hard, and I was concerned myself, but they do it in their own time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a lovely letter Little M! I don't think your mummy should worry too much, like you explained you show you understand what they are saying to you, you're just not ready yet. Soon you'll be chattering away so much that mummy and daddy may be telling you to shush :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry too much he will speak in his own time. It's a bit like Noelie, she doesn't walk yet although she as quite a few french words. They all do their own thing at their own pace. It actually worries me a bit that she speaks so early, I'm sure we're in for a lifetime of talk talk talk talk talk..X

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wouldn't worry either...boys tend to be late talkers - it's funny as adults don't we always complain men don't talk enough as well!?!

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...