Thursday, September 23, 2010

We've come a long way

The Monday after my first birthday party, mami and I got up very early that dark winter morning. I noticed she was dressed which was unusual because she was usually in her PJs well into lunchtime.

Something about that morning was different, mami kept hugging and kissing me and daddy was also up and ready for work. On other days, we would wave to daddy from the window.

We headed out the door all together and before I knew it were we on a bus! Where were we going?

We soon made our way past the park, and then got off a few stops later. I had been here before, but I couldn’t remember why. Then we rounded the corner and then I saw it: the place with all the toys and lots of kids. It was my nursery!


My first birthday!

See, mami was going back to work after one year of staying at home with me. She said it was very difficult to leave me, but had decided she would work 3 days a week and spend 2 days with me. She thought this would be much easier for everyone.

That day was the longest day ever. I waited and waited, but mami was nowhere. I played with new toys and sang new songs. There were other kids there too; but I had never seen them before. Even the lunch was a little different than I was use to, but I still ate it. I asked for my dummy and I kept looking for mami.

After my nap, mami still wasn’t there. I looked and looked, but she was no where in sight. I cried out for her, and one of the girls came to pick me up.

She gave me a hug and said mami would come soon. Finally, after what seemed like days of curling up with my nursery teacher, the door opened and there was mami!

First morning - mami off to work and me going to nursery

I crawled over as fast as I could, stood up and held on to her legs. I cried and cried, not wanting her to go away again. She scooped me up and wouldn't stop kissing me. We hugged and held each other. I felt tear drops on my head, and when I looked up I saw mami wiping her eyes.

It was a very different and tough day for both of us, but I know we are not the only family who has to go through this new stage in life.

Nine months on and mami and is still working 3 days a week, and I have learned that mami will come back for me at the end of the day.

Being a working mum and a nursery-going toddler is not easy, but we have adjusted nicely and we are now more settled into our routine.

Having my breakfast at nursery


I really like going to play with my friends and when mami drops me off I run over the the breakfast table to eat my cereal!

It's never easy and mami says that even when she is very busy at work, she does miss me and can't wait to see me (I miss her too!)

But I just want to say that it is okay now! I like nursery and mami and I both get a “break” from each other.

Yes, even us little one’s need some time away.

 

9 comments:

  1. Of course you do Little M, you need to be free of Mami's eyes every now and then so you can get up to mischief!

    ...

    Isn't it just awful when you leave them for the first time! To be honest, although it has got easier and at some points I've been really glad of the break, I've never felt OK with it. I don't know why. He loves it and he's settled in so well, but it just doesn't sit with me.

    I think it's that "parental guilt".

    Look at Little M eating up! What a cutie! Kidder eats 2 weetabix each morning at nursery. Won't touch the stuff at home.

    Kids, eh.

    Big hugs! Well done for getting to 9 months x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in tears for the first week back at work after Marie I think. Well done for getting to the 9 months mark. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. The guilt eases slightly but I think stays with us in some way for a long long time!!
    I remember the first day I left my son at nursery I was in such a state - didn't actually get to work that day as couldn't pull myself together.
    However both of my children, and myself have benefited from Nursery.
    Well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cute Little M! I don't know how you and your Mami have coped. I guess it's gets easier the more she has to take you to nursery, but I can imagine the heartache she goes through. I couldn't imagine leaving Burton. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly I wouldn't even know where to begin when looking for a nursery. I got back this January and I'm worried I won't be able to find someplace we can afford AND accept cloth diapers AND will watch what he eats AND what he crawls/lays on because of his eczema.

    AHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squeaky has a nursery place waiting for her in a few weeks time, and I'm dreading it. Thank you Little M, and Mami, for letting us know it does get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gorgeous post!

    It can be tough at first but it does get easier - well done both of you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww.. You are both brave people! I cant bare the thought of putting Oli into nursery and I know the longer I leave it , the harder it is going to get!!
    That photo of little M eating his breakfast is sooo cute! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there. I am your newest follower from the blog hop. Lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...