Tuesday, June 28, 2011

AVG Digital Playground: Keeping kids safe online

Okay, so I'm a blogger.

A very young one at that. And even though I get help from mami, the reality is that I, Little M have a digital footprint. But I am not alone, so do about 81% of kids under 2 in the UK and they don't even blog!

In fact, the average age that us kids begin to have an online presence (thanks to their parents) is at six months - when we are babies! Think about Facebook and all those embarrassing pictures parents post of us.

Mami got all this information when she attended the AVG Digital Playground Blogger discussion to talk about how to protect children online.

One of the main points that came up was educating the grown ups so that they know how to keep us safe.



As bloggers we have an advantage because most of us are very online savvy.

However there are many other parents who do not have the proper information and don't know the risks involved when their children go online to use the computer. Mami feels that as bloggers we should help educate other parents and help spread the word.

Here are few more facts:

A third (33%) of children have had images posted online from birth - Guilty as charged!

A quarter (23%) of children have even had their pre-birth scans uploaded to the Internet by their parents - Yeah, I was up there when I was still in the waters

Seven per cent (7%) of babies have even had an email address created for them by their parents - Mami has been talking about getting me an email account

More than 70% of mothers said they posted baby and toddler images online to share with friends and family - Again, mami's Facebook page is all about me!

Even mami, who thought she was up to date on everything learned lots of new things. She mentioned to papi "he is never going to have a mobile phone".

Ha! We will see about that. Besides, I already know how to use her iPhone and how to play videos.

Mami reading "Little Bird's Internet Security Adventure"

AVG also have a great book for pre-schoolers coming out called Little Bird's Internet Security Adventure  which tells the story of how to be online smart. It will be available for downloading soon as an iPad app and on Kindle. Don't worry, I will make sure to tell you when it's out.

What are your thoughts on kids and their digital footprint?

Do you monitor your kids?

How much information on your kids can you keep off line and for how long?

We would really like to know what you think.

6 comments:

  1. guilty as chraged on most if not all of the above. M 5yo is on line when he can, oviously only playing games on sites like cbbc or lego but he has taken to it like a duck to water. I am very conscience on what he is doing so always have one eye on the screen. Not looking forward to the conversation about not having a mobile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep it respectful and only share light non-pribvate stuff like havubg a new tree house or passing a new swim badge. My friend always says if you arent prepared to share it by shouting it in a supermatrket form a megaphone dont blog it. I see people say the most personal negative stuff about their kids and i want to shout hey the internet is PERMENANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankie - no need to feel guilty. The reality is that our kids will be online more than ever before and it is inevitable. What is important is for us as parents to be aware of the dangers and help educate others. I'm with you on the mobile front, but it's going to happen.

    Becky - I agree with you. As a mother I try to be senstive to him and like you said, the internet is permament. There was a blog post recently by a teenager who found a note her mother had written a friend saying how horrible the teen was and that it drove her to drink. She was so ashamed and hurt her mother would say that and she urged parents online to be considerate when posting about their children because some day they will read about it.

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to be sensible - I'm careful not to include any references to where we live, I no longer include my children's first names, and their surname is different to mine, so no one reading my blog can really pinpoint where we are, unless they already know us personally. I realise we can be tracked via ISP, etc, but I also think there's much more risk of being targeted by a nutter on the street than a predator over the internet.
    My parents live on the other side of the world, so if I didn't post pics on the internet they would never see their grandchildren.
    I do consider the fact that I'm invading their privacy, but I also think, taking into consideration our current circumstances and their young age, that it's justifiable. If they protest when they are old enough to do so, of course I will have to respect their desire for more privacy.
    I don't think I'll mind them having a mobile, as it's piece of mind for me when they're out and about, but there will be firm rules about useage and I wouldn't hesitate to check who they were speaking to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really interesting Maria. Ella and bump have had an online presence from before birth. Originally I referred to Ella only as Little Miss but I have "outed" her since she turned 3 at the beginning of the month. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing but it's our life and our family...I'll give her a say so when she's old enough to understand...
    Excellent post and great video! ;)

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting indeed.
    This is a subject that all mummy bloggers MUST read about.
    Not only because "Who´s watching?"issue but for a matter of privacy of their own child as an individual. So I agree it must be as "neutral" as it can be.
    Who knows if in the future the kid becomes politician! All those dark secrets mummy has been getting online!! ha, ha!!
    Not, now really it´s no joke, this post you have made gives Food for thought, and this is something to be appreciated. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...