Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pampers: Nappies vs diapers

We speak three languages in this house sometimes.

There's Spanish, then my English which is British, and papi's English which is American.

Let's just say it can cause a bit of confusion here at times.

Prime example? The nappy vs diaper debate!

"Pewwwww!" says papi when he gets a whiff of my poo. "Let's go change your diaper."

But I just look at him, shake my head and say "No papi, N-A-P-P-Y."



He just shrugs, looks at mami and says "where did he learn that?" and mami laughs and says "Well, he IS British after all!"

But the truth is that's what they call them at nursery and I prefer nappy to diaper. But I wanted to know why there is a difference.

I did a little googling and some say nappy comes from "napkin". That made me laugh, because no napkin could hold all of my poo in place!

And actually the word diaper referred to the type of cloth used (before you could throw them away) and the type of pattern was called "diapering" which was used here in England.

Anyway, I don't know more on the history, but mami did find out how nappies today are made.

Mami with other bloggers on the Pampers factory tour
How?

She actually went to the Pampers factory in Manchester to see how it is all done! She was invited to get a tour and to speak to the experts who work on the Pampers Village. It's a panel of people who give advice to parents.

She couldn't believe just how many nappies are made in one day and what goes in them. Did you know they use a special substance that soaks up all the pee-pee and turns it into a gel?

Mami contemplating leaving my nappies on for longer
That is why if you wring a nappy the pee-pee won't come out! Cool huh? Mami thought she could leave me in my nappies for longer, but when she suggested that everyone looked at her funny. Oops.

And in case you were wondering, at the Pampers plant they call them "diapers" because it is an American company.

So there you go. I actually should be out of my nappies but mami sort of gave up on my potty training.

If you know more about the nappy vs diaper history let us know!

2 comments:

  1. It was great meeting you there! Believe it or not, I thought the same thing about leaving Noelie's nappy on for longer lol (don't tell anybody but it's actually fine lol). X

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I knew I wasn't alone but no one else spoke up. Hope you are feeling good :)

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...