Monday, November 21, 2011

He-Man and Ninja Turtles: New old toys!

This house is full of new things. Well, everything here is new to me. Everything is different. So different from our flat in London. Some days I feel lost and miss our home.

Last week mami was searching for some of her stuff from before moving to the UK in one of the super big closets at grandma and grandpa's house. This closet is so big, you can can WALK into it, and then walk around IN IT. 

She found lots of things, all pretty boring. Shoes, clothes, towels, things for the house. So boring even I didn't want to see them. She was very focused on her boxes when I spotted a plastic box on a bottom shelf. 

It had a bunch of colourful toys in it. I mean, I know toys. But I had never seen these before and I pulled the box out and dug in. 


Mami was still looking at her stuff so she didn't see me. Then I said "Mami, mira. A turtle". And I showed her the turtle that was dressed like a ninja. "Oooh, Ninja Turtles, I remember these!"

Then she looked down at the box, and instead of telling me to put them back, she took some of the other plastic figures out and smiling she shouted "Oh, that's HE-MAN!"

HE-MAN? I thought. Who is that?

Then she looked at me and sang out "HEEEEEEEEE-MAN, Masters of the Universe"

"Yeeeeeah!" I said back still not knowing what we were talking about. But then she showed me HE-MAN. He's the guy in the underpants, boots and lots of muscles on his tummy. So funny! I guess he was some sort of super hero when mami was little.

"These must be your uncle Jeff's old toys, Little M" she said to me.

"Yeah" I responded. Then I asked "Papi toys?"

"Maybe the HE-MAN is papi's. He is from a looooong time ago"

A long time ago is right! The date on the back of the toy said 1981.

WOW! Papi must me an old, old man. And I had no idea that papi played with toys too! He never mentioned anything. Then again, he never told me he had been a baby either and now I go and find out he used to wear nappies.

Amazing the things you find out when you do a little digging. I wonder what's next?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello to my sister, Little L!

It's been a very long time. My days as a blogger are over (at least I think they are?) — I'm now mami's sort of photographer (I&...